Saturday, March 6

Day 18 – Presence

(C) Robert Bell - used with permission

O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from far away…
You hem me in, behind and before…
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me…
Where can I go from your spirit?
Or where can I flee from your presence?...
Search me, O God, and know my heart…
and lead me in the way everlasting. 
(Psalm 139: 1-2, 5-7, 23-34)

 When we speak of God being near or far away, or of ‘seeking God’s presence’, what do we actually mean? There are certainly times when we may be particularly aware of his presence and times when he seems absent. The familiar problem with our praying or spiritual life does not lie in finding the place where God is. The idea that we are separated from God is an illusion. The problem we face is being present to ourselves.

(Extract from Dust & Glory by David Runcorn)

 For Reflection

Mindfulness is a way of practising being present to ourselves and, therefore, to life itself. Sit in an upright chair with both feet on the ground. Then quietly become aware of your physical body. Notice your breathing as it flows in and out of your body. Just that. Close your eyes and focus your attention on your body, your breath, the movement of your rib cage. Patiently. For two minutes.

 Remember in Prayer

Those who sense God is absent from their lives; those who are uncomfortable in their own bodies; those who seek peace of mind and body.

Presence (JH)

No comments:

Post a Comment