Tuesday, March 2

Day 14 – Journey

Then Jesus said, “There was a man who had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the property that will belong to me.’ So he divided his property between them. A few days later the younger son gathered all he had and travelled to a distant country, and there he squandered his property in dissolute living. When he had spent everything, a severe famine took place throughout that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed the pigs…But when he came to himself he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired hands have bread enough and to spare, but here I am dying of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired hands.”’ (Luke 15: 11-15, 17-19)

Hebrew storytelling puts it main point in the middle, not the end. “Here came to himself.” This is such a revealing phrase. We speak of ‘coming to our senses’ which catches the same sense of shock of recognition. The ‘far country’ is not just a physical place for the son. He has been in exile from himself. He sees where his behaviour and choices have led him. He has blown everything. His only option is to return home. Perhaps there is something to envy in this young man’s moment of truthful awakening.

(Extract from Dust & Glory by David Runcorn)


 La Gomera (DS)
Footprints in the snow (Pat)

Prayer

Lord, whatever journey I am on, bring me to myself.

Journey (DM)

No comments:

Post a Comment